December 15, 2016 – Okuma America hosted more than 400 customers, partn
December 15, 2016 – Okuma America hosted more than 400 customers, partners and distributors at their annual 2016 Technology Showcase on December 6 -7 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The theme of this year’s event, “Get Connected. Put IIoT to Work for You,” included learning sessions about connecting the CNC machine shop floor and using real-time data to empower decision makers. Through the power of IIoT, attendees were able to view on one screen the machine status, specs and real-time cutting video of multiple machines at the Partners in THINC facility and Okuma headquarters.
Participants also viewed cutting demonstrations on more than 20 machine tools and were educated on technologies that can give them a competitive edge. Attendees also learned how Okuma’s open OSP control and OSP suite allow each user to customize the OSP experience to specifically address their unique manufacturing needs.
Technology Showcase Highlights
- Smart Tool - This tool developed by Velocity Briney comes with a dashboard of pre-determined speeds and feeds from tap testing performed on Okuma mills and eliminates guesswork to achieve maximum production.
- The MULTUS U4000 multi-function lathe featured technologies that are now available on Okuma’s mill-turn machines. Turn-Cut, B-Axis Turning, laser and tool breakage system, and touch probe part inspection showcased the next leap in technology by combining multiple operations and hard to machine geometries in one setup. The MULTUS platform provides the ultimate in flexibility and utilization.
- Titanium Machining- Okuma and partner 5ME demonstrated the benefits of machining complex 5-axis, aerospace parts on titanium with cryogenics for the aerospace industry. Higher surface footage and longer tool life are achieved when machining exotic materials with cryogenics.
- Automated Measuring- Partners in THINC partners, Autonetics and ABB, joined forces to demonstrate automated laser thread inspection, which fully automates measuring methods. Inspection data is fed directly to the control so decisions and adjustments can be made automatically without operator intervention.
- Enhanced Machine Leveling – New technology enhancements from Tru-Lign level CNC machine tools in a matter of minutes. This technology was displayed on Okuma’s LB-3000EXMY lathe as it was lowered to the floor and leveled in a matter of minutes.
About Okuma America Corporation
Okuma America Corporation is the U.S.-based sales and service affiliate of Okuma Corporation, a world leader in CNC (computer numeric control) machine tools, founded in 1898 in Nagoya, Japan. The company is a single-source provider, with the CNC machine, drive, motors, encoders, and spindle all manufactured by Okuma.